News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

560SEL with hydropneumatic suspension (a la 6.9)

Started by AMG69, 25 January 2008, 05:10 AM

AMG69

One of my young guys at work has just bought his grandfathers 560SEL. Its a UK import built in 1988 I think. Has a string of extras as it was sold new as a German diplomat vehicle in London.  Its charcoal with black leather and the individual rear seats (two way electrical and heated); rear blind; phone; flag pole; etc etc and hydropneumatic suspension.  I'd never seen this (6.9 suspension) on a 560 as I think it wasnt available on Aussie spec cars? Anyway, a beautiful car indeed with 150k miles (has the Oz km/hr speedo but miles odo) and extremely well maintained.  Gee they are l-o-n-g though!! It looked very funny in Perth's Central Park car park with a Golf one side and a Mazda 3 the other  :D    Perth owners its "MB560SEL" and now resides in Subi Centro.
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Des

To quote John Green:

http://ozbenz.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2827&hilit=hydro

All Australian delivered W126's (with code 625) had the ride level system in the rear as standard. Cars from otrher markets varied. For example it was an option on Hong kong and as we see a lot of there rejects here there are quite a few cars in Austra;lia that do not have ride level. There are also a few around that have had it taken out.

We service a few 500SEL's that are HK inports with the same all round hydraulic suspension as a 6.9. Beautiful ride but rather problematic now given the age of these cars.

AMG69

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Grant V

I also didn't know that the 560SEL was available with hydropneumatic suspension, until S-Class pointed this out on a thread here a while ago. The 560SEL's that were imported to SA had springs with self-levelling shocks in the rear and conventional shocks and springs up front.
I saw one this morning on my way to work, being driven hard by an old grey haired gent. It's still a car high up on my wish list, but I'm not sure whether it should be an SEL or an SEC
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

116Benz

An SEL in black fairly screams old school Cosa Nostra, an SEC is a really nice classy, luxury coupe like a modern day 111 3.5 coupe was in its day. Prob still doesnt help the issue though.  ;D