News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

560SEL w/90k in junkyard

Started by Casey, 05 March 2012, 10:39 AM

Casey

I stopped by a local junkyard yesterday and came across a 560SEL that looked like it had just been brought in.  It still had the instrument cluster, which showed only 90k miles.  Some writing on the windshield said "drive in", which is what they write on cars they acquired in running condition.  I have to wonder why it was scrapped, and if I had some way to transport it and knowledge of how to disconnect it, I'd be really tempted to buy the engine.  Do these engines develop issues at so low of miles?  I'm kind of tempted to rent a truck or something and install it into the W123 coupe. :P

I found inside a heated reclining rear seat.  I pulled both the seat cushions, but will need to go back for the reclining motors and frame, which I'm not sure would fit in a W116 anyways.  What I'd really like to pull off is getting W116 skins and/or frame pieces mounted to the reclining setup and that whole thing fitted into a W116, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.  I'll also probably pull the front seats when I go back if they are also heated, just to have spare OEM heaters, as the junkyard only charges $30 per complete seat.  Or maybe I'll just remove the elements...  The rear seats also had headrests, which I'm wondering if would fit into a W123 rear seat.

I also bought both front seats and the rear seat set from a W123 in order to get better frames/pads for a decrepit set I have.  Amazingly, I managed to fit all of these along with the W126 rear seat into my 450SE, without damage and with the trunk fully closed.  Way too much junk in my garage now!

TJ 450

Well, I would have to say that low miles doesn't mean much in the real world without service records to confirm that services were performed on time. Many things can go wrong with lack of use, so it would be a case of caveat emptor.

First thing that comes to mind is check the condition of the oil, inside the filler cap. Then check the cooling system, as the radiators fail on these cars at the neck where the hose attaches.

A good low mileage car is one that has been service on time and regular maintenance performed regardless of use.

If the engine check out OK, it would be a bloody good choice for a conversion though!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

MB_Mike

These engines are pretty robust but take TJ's advice for sure.

Since it is in the yard anyway, remove a valve cover and take a look at the cams, ect.

If everything checks out, it could have been scrapped due to the cost of fuel I am sure.

If you wanted to do a transplant, I am sure you would do a lot of replacement of standard stuff anyway (chain, rails, tensioner, ect)

As for 126 seats into a 116, I've seen it done, but I can't comment on what it took to accomplish.

1987 Home market 560 SEL

Casey

Quote from: MB_Mike on 05 March 2012, 11:30 AM
it could have been scrapped due to the cost of fuel I am sure.
There is some pretty nasty/rusty damage to the right rear fender above the wheel that looks to have been from a minor collision - it doesn't look that bad but clearly was not repaired and allowed to rust for quite a while.  Just doesn't seem like something worth giving such a nice car up over.