News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

116 vs Porsche

Started by Brian Crump, 03 November 2007, 01:59 AM

Brian Crump

Well for a start the engine is in the wrong part of these things - but that's not the story.
Today was a damp, dull day in Sydney so we went for a little adventure in the world of tyre kicking. Stop number 2 was at the Porsche Centre with two dozen or so gleaming pedal cars on display with long queues for each salesman. I know the term is 'aspirational buying' but why was half of sydney lined up to chat to a salesman about one of these cramped, back-breaking babies? Nope - not being sexist - there was not a salewoman in sight (apart from the receptionist). It's impossible to get into one, impossible to see out of one, impossible to get out of the bloody thing!!! The salesman apologised for the delay in attending to us and asked which model we wanted to see. The answer "...none of these - we have decided we don't want one..." left him slack-jawed. I think the response is supposed to be a grovelling request to be allowed touch the key to anything bearing the Porsche insignia. Apparently the hottest accessory in the range is an 'emblemed head rest'. apologies to OBH - these are the words of Porsche, not of the writer.
I'm sure I would change my mind on a winding mountain pass but just climbing in and out of a Carrera was enough to cause severe distruption to my mental health. The more I see of other cars the more I realise that the W116 is not a bad design in any sense of the word.
Even Miss Olga turned up her nose in disdain at the load carrying capacity of the Cayenne; not big enough for all her show gear which fits comfortably in the boot of the 450SE....
Stop number 1 and stop number 3 were to the same place where down in the bowels of the earth the salesman was eager to show us a Continental R Turbo that had just been traded but not detailed or serviced. What a pity it has so many numbers before the decimal point. Oh well, off to see and drive it later this week when it is prepared. M.O.T.S. would not like it. It was green.  ;D One thing I have picked up about M.O.T.S. (who is strangely quiet at the moment) is that he/she does not like green cars..
Regards,
BC

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: BC on 03 November 2007, 01:59 AM
The more I see of other cars the more I realise that the W116 is not a bad design in any sense of the word.

In that case, sell everything else and keep the 450. ;D ;)

Anyway, seriously, is this other car your going to drive the '425' you were talking about?
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

Brian, yes I don't see why people lust over Porsche's, to me these two pictures are identical:

ah you say!
chop the roof off and they will look different.......

um nope

Brian Crump

QuoteAnyway, seriously, is this other car your going to drive the '425' you were talking about?
No -same make - just 44 years between them.....
Possibly nothing will come of it... ;)
Regards,
BC

Edit - yr right Des. Not much between them is there?  ;D

Des

Brian, I've never met you, but honestly I couldn't see you in a Porsche

I see two types of people that drive Porsche's,

1. middle ages men who are balding, mid life crisis car.
2. boy racer types, rank a little better than commodore drivers, burn outs and general driving hooligans.

You in a sports car? maybe a Aston Martin DB9, Audi RS8, maybe a TT?!?
a refined gentleman's sports car, a car that doesn't have to prove anything, it doesn't say anything other than it is a classic, luxurious sports car that can go like the flappers and handle equally as well, when and if needed.

If you have recently come into some "new money"
then I recommend the new Rolls Royce Drophead:

nathan

are you for real Des,
is that monstrosity actually in production?  the lump that is the phantom sedan isnt too bad from an 'in your face, im rich bitch' perspective...but that convertible is a shocker
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

WGB

I love both M-B' and Porsches  - they are just diffrent horses for different courses - to be driven on different days and different ways.

Not all of them have an engine in the rear.

Bill

Des

Quote from: nathan on 03 November 2007, 03:13 AM
are you for real Des,
is that monstrosity actually in production? 

yes the 911 has been made for like 30 years I believe.

I will tell you a story Nathan, the reason they called the 911, the 911 was so that when American driver's crashed and burnt because their 911 ran off the road they would know what number to dial for the ambulance.

;D

Bill; I quite like the GT3, could see myself as a track driver on weekend in something like that

Brian Crump

You are quite correct Bill - it is horses for courses.
The neurosurgeon who put all my back bits back in order ten years ago advised me never to play golf or drive a Porsche - otherwise I would void the warranty on his work.  ;D
He of course does not drive a Porsche or play golf - he has a Cloud III and an Arnage with consquestive number plates (his and her number plates are one of my pet hates). Oh, and a 190E for daily work.  ;D
I never argue with a doctor!! ;)
Regards,
BC

Des

So tell us Brian, is the CLK350 on the way out?

I guess the ML would be a very handy car for your four legged members of your family and not likely to change

Brian Crump

The CLK has blotted its copybook with its automatic anti dazzle rear view mirror that dazzles the driver like a rabbit in a spotlight.... >:(
The ML is one of the best cars I have ever owned and is a workhorse that earns its keep every day. The rear seats are covered in marine carpet, it has a fridge built into the rear and a carry all on the roof. It is set up as a mobile dog box!! It stays.  ;D
Regards,
BC

Des

mate I feel bad for you, having a service department tell you that load of &*&^**()()^&% about your car is just unacceptable, I know it should in an ideal world make no difference but getting mucked around with a mechanic on a few thousand dollar car is one thing but when you have shelled out god only knows how much on that car, to get 2nd rate service is just &*&^**()()^&% not outrageous and frankly insulting to you and the car.

&*&^**()()^&% = your own offensive and explicit word(s)

Brian Crump

It's not so much that Des - the whole system has been replaced several times but it makes no difference. I think we are dealing with a defective design....that is even more frightening.
Regards,
BC

Des

oh ok....I was more getting the picture from your story the monkeys doing the work were incompetent.

Grant V

Quote from: Des on 03 November 2007, 02:29 AM
I see two types of people that drive Porsche's,

1. middle ages men who are balding, mid life crisis car.
2. boy racer types, rank a little better than commodore drivers, burn outs and general driving hooligans.

Err....Des...uhh, so what does this make a youngish faerie like me?

Let me tell you boys something. This is a REAL Porsche (note: engine in front where it should be, auto 'box in the rear where it should be): fast, low comfortable, handles well, sounds glorious, the best seats I have ever sat in. Okay, getting in and out is a chore, but then again I am 6ft 2

Great value for money, 'cause nobody wants them. "It's not a REAL Porsche - the engines not in the back", say the same tossers who now drive that suped up Toureg called the Cayenne. Okay, maybe a bit pricey to maintain, but certainly no more expensive than some of these modern Mercs that have gone out of their maintenance plans. Brian - BUY ONE!!!
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room