News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Shakedown!!!!

Started by Scotty, 10 December 2014, 03:05 AM

Scotty

I picked up the 280SEL from the air con guy, slipped home, threw in my clothes, glasses and technology for 2 days and,  sped out of Toowoomba cosseted in cool air, soft music and a general sense of happiness. After the car  was warm enough I gave it some welly, accelerating through the gears to approximately red line, then settling back  to legal speed. Reaching Armidale in the late afternoon, I found a motel, changed after a swim, and set off for a pub meal and a couple of local reds.

Emerging from the pub with a burp and a toothpick, and radiating wellbeing in all directions, I reflected on my purchase and the experience so far.

I love it!! So smooth, comfy and planted. I could 'feel' the car getting better with more miles - as a Porsche does - and couldn't wait to get in it tomorrow and do some  more miles.

After a night of listening to the couple in the next room having loud and energetic sex (while trying to sleep of course) I had an average coffee and more average brekky, I commanded Der Flaumig Schnellzug (the fluffy express train ) out of town and towards the coast.

It ate up the miles. And more. And more. Approaching the coast it started to rain. And I mean RAIN. No leaks, not one. Still cool air, still soft music. Still comfy. No sore neck, no crickety back. Arriving home after over 1000km in two days still fresh, best averaging 24.68mpg.

Happy? You bet! Thankful also to all here and other MB sites who guided me through the purchase. So thank you.

A couple of things yet to fix. Squeaky belts, a couple of bulbs and maybe a wheel alignment.

But I wouldn't sell it for anything. Why did I wait so long?

nathan

congrats, nice to hear of the pleasure a 116 brings a man.  i just drove my 6.9 today for the first time in a  couple of months, and appreciate your sentiments!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

robertd

Thanks for sharing the experience Scotty,

all of us need to do more driving less tinkering

happy days
116   1978 450SEL 6.9 #  4848
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 6225  SOLD
116   1978 450SEL  6.9 # 5128  SOLD
116   1979 450SEL  6.9 # 5884  SOLD
116   1974 450SEL  DJet

beagle2022

I did 300k's in my old girl yesterday and resonate with your sentiments.  There is something about an enormous wheelbase and ridiculous over-engineering that makes for a great long distance experience.  A special treat was pulling up alongside another w116 at a set of traffic lights in outer Sydney. Not a common occurrence!
Sydney, Australia

Beastie

Sounds like a good time, I'm glad you're enjoying the car. The W116 is certainly very well suited to long trips. When driving around town or in the suburbs it feels like you're just toying with it and it can never quite get into its stride. Even at 100, 110 km/hr it's still not quite where it wants to be and I wish we could legally do around 140 - 160.

I've been debating about taking mine on a roadtrip to Melbourne and back, maybe catch Bill Burr on stage if tickets are available, seeing as how he's not coming to Adelaide. For some reason I'm trying to talk myself out of it. I looked up the location of my preferred Melbourne accommodation, the Arden Motel, to see how close it is to the venue of the show. Told myself that it'll be miles away, on the other side of town, too inconvenient, I wont go. Turns out it's only 15 minutes away from the concert! So I told myself "ah... I'll get lost or something, or I'll get confused and crash into a tram while trying to perform one of these 'hook turns' that I've heard so much about". Running out of excuses. Now you go and have this joyous long-distance trip with no mechanical problems. Maybe I should pull my finger out and plan a trip of my own.
1979 280SEL

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

Scotty

Go Beastie Go!!!! I almost didn't go myself, but thought bugger it, my business is in good hands, the sun is shining and Armidale area is a favourite of mine. After the trip I've spoken to some mates I used to race cars and do motorcycle trips with and we've make tentative arrangements for a couple of road trips. The extra 4" in the back provides accessible room for a 'can't see' esky so the important part is taken care of. It is important to take others with you as you can't mix a good martini while doing 170 and scanning for cops..........

oversize

What a great story!  Right I'm headed to the garage to get one going.....   :D :o
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

gf

We knew you'd like it! now the ultimate test comes when you get in a 2006 Toyota camry with low KM for a 2 hr trip. Squirm, yawn, swear!!!!!!! A family member offered me a free one. As you guessed I declined- Better in the scrapheap than punish w116 fans with inferior junk.
What do you think of the turning circle??????????

Scotty

GF the turning circle is - to use the modern word properly - awesome! As are the brakes! It really is a pleasure to drive. I spent a lot of time just driving and thinking - why this car now at my stage of life? Mrs Scotty and I are sort of getting ready to fly the coop now the child has gone off to make her own way, so I really didn't need another registration at this point. Also, I thought about the difference between driving and traveling. I think you can do both in a W116 whereas you have to drive a 911, and be attentive or it'll kill you. And it's fantastic to get to know a new car, understand its limits, where the sweet spot is, and take time when stationary to take in the interior. And of course the wipers. For some reason they get me, and I found myself when stopped for a bevvy just walking around the car nodding, looking and appreciating the proportions, the chrome, the line. I recalled a Wheels article pitting a W116 with a Peugeot 604 SL, something else and quite the most hideous interior I've ever seen adorn the 4th car, a Commodore SL/E.  The W116 caught my eye even then, in 1979 or something. It was somehow brutish, and - in a dark colour - almost menacing from some angles.  I don't recall actively wanting one, though my adolescent tastes were probably activated subliminally.

I had harboured a lemming like urge for another fast Porsche, this time of the Carrera mode (and possibly the  ex Jeff Carter Kremer) but could never find the right car. Moving on to Rolls/Bentley but  they were all a bit 'weddingy' even though I'll probably end up with a Bentley T2 one day. I had been aware of the 6.9 from Ronin but though they were out of my league so never really investigated the option. I recall the Whitlam administration used W116s, and the media then described them as 'the government's air conditioned Mercedes'.
So when this one turned up close to home inspection was mandatory. And given my penchant for premeditated impulse I had bought the car in my head before I left home to view. Thankfully, Mrs Scotty was on board once she learned it was air conditioned and not a Porsche.

Further to my aforementioned reflections, I recall someone on here saying the 'six' was a bit underpowered, but I found it fine, though I'll concede the bigger hills slowed it down a little. I didn't mind though - it gave me a chance to kick it down and enjoy the engine's song. Casting myself as the hero, I imagined myself rushing through the countryside to some major event, which I would diffuse to save the world. I believed in my mind that this was - an old Bentley Continental being the exception - the perfect car for the trip. All I needed was a black turtleneck, a Walter PPK and some swagger. Through the wonderful and smooth road entering Grafton, the car felt lithe and active, like a powerful stallion at full gallop.

There's a bit of wind noise from the windscreen and doors, but this is just indicative of age, and I'll take a little wind noise over a bad design any day. I suppose one day I'll have to let others travel with me, but that's ok.

So that's it. I have one. I love it. It's cool and user friendly. I like the look of myself in it when checking reflections in shop windows, which is sad. There's more work to be done I think but I'll leave that to MB Motors because I'm as handy as a chocolate fireman.

Excuse me now because I have to go and find a turtleneck sweater to wear next time I drive it.....

hi ho

handy as a chocolate fireman.

Hahahahahah

oversize

LMAO!  That comment got more than a few laughs here too!  Scotty you should be writing the W116.org homepage introduction to new members!  Well done and what a great read....  Any pix of your travels??
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Scotty

Strangely, no pics, and I regret that. I must have been thoroughly in the moment.

Also, I remember thinking that another W116 would be nice. Contrasting colour, maybe a sun roof, maybe a 6.9...

Is there a known condition for what I'm suffering now?  Is the medication available on the PBS?

I thought I had cured my Scotty two Jags/ Renault/ Porsche condition, but it seems it has returned...

Looking forward to swanning around Noosa in the 280 though.....