News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

Licensing BS

Started by rumb, 09 November 2016, 08:24 PM

rumb

I'm going to have to do some anti- BS maneuvers to get my license plates.  My Euro was never DOT or EPA converted and does not even have the import label on the B pillar. The collector plates now require emissions inspection every 5 years as well as looking for cat's and air pumps per US versions. It is unknown if I could even get it to pass just the emmisions part.  So I will be creating my new address at my cousin who lives way out in the country the next county over where they do not require the emissions testing.   :-X :-X :-X
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Harv

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

nostat

I just done removing all the emission crap from my 450sel you can have it before I take to the recyclers. Its for Cal. standards.

UTn_boy

You may want to dig deeper.  By national law and standard, and car pre-1980 DOES NOT have to pass emissions testing.  The 5 years inspection is likely just a safety inspection to make sure something isn't leaking profusely, as well as to make sure that there is no rust that could be dangerous.  Testing of lights, horns, etc. 

It may be that where you live can override a national standard just as local lawmakers can do with any other law.  You should try to explain to them that this car never had a cat or emissions, and that what happened to the car when it was imported, or didn't happen, you had nothing to do with.  Furthermore, if they require that you get it federalized, you simply tell them that the parts to do that are no longer available, and haven't been for many years.....no lie, either.  They'll likely work with you.  Just be humble throughout the ordeal.  Otherwise, your idea will work just as well.  :) 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

s class

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

rumb

After asking several people and getting several different answers that were all wrong, I reluctantly took the advice to just go out and get the test done and that no one would bother looking for the EPA equipment.  First the tech tried finding the bar code VIN on the car......Then had to get another tech to fill the rest of the screen in.

They had to ask me how to open the hood, then 2 of them got mirrors out to find the cat.  After about 5 minutes I went out and told them they would not find any as it was gray market car. The head tech then said they could test and fail the car as is for lack of equipment, or go to the end of the building to the state people and get a DR2365, emissions waiver for gray market cars. The state guy said just show me your original EPA waiver form......

Since that of course disappeared at least 20-30 years ago he gave ma a piece of paper with the US Customs and Border Protection office in Denver and was to ask for a EPA form 3520-1.

Called that office and he had  no idea what that was, and said since my car was 25 years or older I didnt even need emissions. So I had to explain that my county has overridden federal law and has special zones that do  require it.

He again asked what form I needed, and then he went and looked it up, came back and said if I just bring my title and drivers license they will issue    me one. 

So after I get that I get to go back to the Colorado station and get the DR2365 form, then to the County and get my plates.

I will drive to Denver soon and find out if they guy there was right or not....

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-04/documents/3520-1.pdf

Code E:   Apparently any private vehicle imported more than 21 years ago in original configuration with the original engine  is exempt.

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Peter

Frustrating but it sounds like you have a way forward, let us know how it all turns out Rumb.

rumb

Went to US customs office and the officer there barely looked at the form, asked me if I had the registration, showed it to him, but he did not look at it or anything I had written on the form, grabbed his stamp and stamped it 3 time and said here you go.  Took all of 2 minutes.

Then went home and to the local emission testing facility and the Colorado guy took the car away into a bay for about 20 minutes and then came back with the completed  COLO  equipment waiver. Still had to do emmision test as they did in 1977, but I had to show them 4 times how to open the hood and their equipment had a hard time getting the engine speed so that took another 20-30 minutes.  The car passed emissions, but failed my gas cap, so I had to go buy a new one and then go back and have the entire test done again.

The first results were:

2500rpm      idle          limit

HC ppm    96              270         400
CO%        .29              .91         1.50

2nd time

HCppm     82              180         400
CO%        .29              .63         1.5

The HC really dropped with a hotter engine!

Went and showed my mechanic and he said the CO%'s were too low and meant the engine was running lean.  I went home and turn up the adjust screw by the fuel disti.

The car bogs/backfires when cold, but runs perfect when hot. 

I'm going to contact CIS Flowtech and see if they have any suggestion, or if they adjusted for our altitude (5000 ft)

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio