News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Here is the pick up story of Euro 280SE #2

Started by MB_Mike, 07 October 2010, 10:59 AM

MB_Mike

I mentioned in previous posts how I could not help myself and bought another Euro spec 280SE. I also mentioned in previous posts how I bought the car quietly without telling my wife until the night before I went to pick it up...Big Mistake! Karma would soon pay me back.
Here is the story:

This 280 is silver over blue velour with an AMG front air dam and rear decklid spoiler. It has headlamp wipers, a sunroof and rear headrests as well as an Orvis trailer hitch. It has manual windows, no air conditioning and no cruise control.

I left for the 250-300 mile drive Saturday morning. I stopped to pick up a friend and to rent a car. The idea with the rental was it would be very reliable transport should we have any surprises. We loaded up the Dodge Charger SXT (junk) rental car we were off.

I wanted to stop at a junkyard slightly out of the way of our original destination; I figured I could resell some u-pull car parts (from a W126 500SEL with Euro bits that they advertised) to offset the cost of the trip.

A little behind schedule, taking too long at the rental office and getting caught in traffic on the way down, we arrived at what I thought was the correct yard. They did not have the 500SEL but a very cool W110 200 (possibly Euro) with two-tone paint and rear curtains (not available for parts but as a whole car for $800). We left empty handed to seek out the intended yard which was only supposed to be 2 miles away over a bridge.

Of course construction had many of the exits off the bridge closed, even GPS could not get us there. After about 40 minutes of driving in circles we spotted the correct junk yard off in the distance and decided to drive in reverse down the on ramp to get there  :o

The yard was closing in an hour and I really wanted to secure the 4 Lorinser RS90 wheels that were on the 500SEL. Of course they had security lugs on them...

I couldn't believe it when I found the key socket for them in the corner of the glove box  ;D So I ran to grab the jack from the rental and was told on my way back in that due to insurance reasons NO SCISSOR JACKS! only floor jacks were allowed.

Going back to the car defeated and figuring I would have to make due with the Euro headlamps and other bits, I spotted a couple with a floor jack at a nearby car. I approached them to ask if I may borrow it and they did not speak English  :( I managed to convey that I would like to borrow their jack for a few moments while I removed some wheels and they graciously agreed.

So with the wheels in hand and the yard closing we made our way out. Paid the office for the score and loaded the wheels into the car.

It took about 2 hours to get to our final destination, the 280SE, after we stopped to clean up and have dinner. After meeting the seller in person (some of you may remember a member here JaimeKop) I decided to fetch a flashlight from the toolbox to have a better look at the car.

Would you believe I left a tool box full of good tools such as MB tool kit wrenches ect at the junk yard?! Here is where karma comes in...

I figured I could find someone in the near area who could pick up the tools for me and ship back at my cost and decided to just be in the moment and enjoy the new car. After some MB talk with Jaime, we hit the road, me in the 280 and my friend in the rental.

About 30 miles into the drive 2 bright red dash lights came on! Figuring it was the alternator belt, I kept on hoping to cover the remaining 200 or so miles home. Another 30 miles later the temp guage was increasing and I feared even more trouble.

We pulled into a Walmart to investigate and found the broken belt. I had heard that you can use ladies pantyhose as a temporary belt in a situation such as this and decided to try it. At midnight or so I found myself in a line of 25 people and one cashier. I simply wanted to pay for my panyhose, lighter, jumper cables and duct tape and be on my way!!

We quickly rigged up a alternator belt, charged the battery and hoped that would be enough to get us home.

10 miles later the lights were back on and the car was hot as ever! The remaninder of the trip went like this about every 10 miles we had to make another belt in the dark, cold night burning our arms against the hot engine. About the time we ran out of pantyhose it was 3 am and I needed to cover another 100 miles and be home in time for my wife to leave for work so I could stay with our sons.

I decided to leave the car at a mechanics shop. I placed the key in a drop box with the after hours form instructing them to replace the belt on Monday. I had to do this for fear if I left the car in a public parking spot the police may find it suspicious and quickly realize I had not registered the car but simply used the plates from my other 280 to make the trek home (I did insure the car just in case of accident)...
1987 Home market 560 SEL

Squiggle Dog

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

KenM

Classic! That's a great yarn Mike, one to remember no doubt. Did you not get some funny looks queuing up to buy womens undies at midnight? And did you get the tools back?

Mforcer

I initially read the title as "Here is the quick story of Euro 280SE #2". I'd hate see see the long story ;)

The only thing that comes close to ones own adventure is the sharing of another :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

MB_Mike

Quote from: Mforcer on 07 October 2010, 11:44 PM
I initially read the title as "Here is the quick story of Euro 280SE #2". I'd hate see see the long story ;)

Certainly nothing quick about this one! The adventure itself took from 9am Saturday to 5am Sunday for a 400 mile or so round trip.

Quote from: KenM on 07 October 2010, 06:02 PM
Did you not get some funny looks queuing up to buy womens undies at midnight? And did you get the tools back?

The part I left out was we tied the "undies" the wrong way and I had to go  back in the store to purchase more. Again there were another 25 people in line and I had to begin asking, "Do you mind if I budge in front of you? All I have are these pantyhose and I really need to fix my car and get home."  :D

I have not gotten the tools back 'yet' but have been in contact with a fellow MB Club member from the area who has secured them for me and I am just waiting for them to be mailed back.

Part 2 of this tale is I left the car about 100 miles from home. The mechanic called me on Monday and said it would be $95 to replace the alt belt. I was able to head down the other night to pick up the car. I had asked that the shop leave the key since I would be down very late.

To my surprise the car was blocked in by 2 others and the doors were all locked.

A quick call to the shops 24 hour towing # had me out of there in a jiffy and on my way home. It is now parked in the garage.

The End.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

flutes

So I don't think the story is quite finished yet Mike - what has your wife bought in retaliation?
Matt
1977 450SEL

MB_Mike

Quote from: flutes on 11 October 2010, 03:58 AM
So I don't think the story is quite finished yet Mike - what has your wife bought in retaliation?

A HONDA ODDYSSEY

And I paid through the nose  :o She says we are even but it's a many multiple compared to what I spent. At least we are being good American consumers.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

Big_Richard

Quote from: MB_Mike on 11 October 2010, 06:07 AM
At least we are being good American consumers.

Shouldnt you then be buying American made cars ?  8)

MB_Mike

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 11 October 2010, 07:20 AM
Quote from: MB_Mike on 11 October 2010, 06:07 AM
At least we are being good American consumers.

Shouldnt you then be buying American made cars ?  8)

Good as in smart  ;)
1987 Home market 560 SEL

gf

:)Just explain the pantyhose bit to the lady! or karma might get worse!

MB_Mike

Since I've never bothered to do ANYTHING with this car other than pilfer the radiator for my white 280, I thought I would clean up the wheels a bit and snap a quick photo. I am supposed to be parting out the car due to rust, but I can't seem to make myself do it just yet...

1987 Home market 560 SEL

Tony66_au

Wow what an Oddesey.......... (Couldnt resist).