News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Window regulator removal

Started by pmark3100, 22 July 2016, 05:25 PM

pmark3100

I got tired of holding my drivers windshield up with suction cups. I got the door panel off (finally!) and everything is going well, except I can't get the motor/regulator assembly out. The window track is in the way and I can't see how it comes loose. There is a bracket of some sort that I unbolted but it won't budge and I'm not sure if it is the window track or something else. I did do a search here on the forums but nothing of much help. It said to remove the track but nothing about how to do that.

I've lost interest in the car due to health issues and everyone who looks at it backs off because of the window. I suspect I may be able to repair the assembly as it looks like some sort of restraint fell off. I need to get it out first though to see what needs to be done.

Diesel 617

What exactly is wrong with your window? There are two bolts that hold the window in place, and they can be finicky to re-align them.

You will need to remove the mirror and the window carefully as it is easy to scratch. I recommend taping the window shut, packing tape works great as duct tape usually won't come off the paint.
There is a small screw that holds the Plastic Chrome cover on, then the cover can be gently pryed out.
From there, three bolts hold the mirror into position, remove them (9 or 10mm)
Then follow the mirror guide rail down the the base of the door, on the outside bottom of the door there is a black plug, push that until it pops inside of the door. You should now be able to remove the mirror guide rail. AS well as the window
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

pmark3100

Quote from: Diesel 617 on 25 July 2016, 12:54 PM
What exactly is wrong with your window? There are two bolts that hold the window in place, and they can be finicky to re-align them.

You will need to remove the mirror and the window carefully as it is easy to scratch. I recommend taping the window shut, packing tape works great as duct tape usually won't come off the paint.
There is a small screw that holds the Plastic Chrome cover on, then the cover can be gently pryed out.
From there, three bolts hold the mirror into position, remove them (9 or 10mm)
Then follow the mirror guide rail down the the base of the door, on the outside bottom of the door there is a black plug, push that until it pops inside of the door. You should now be able to remove the mirror guide rail. AS well as the window

I never got the regulator out but I got the door disassembled enough to see the problem. The regulator is worn to the point the gears don't mesh. I may be able to fix it but how long it will hold is up in the air. Rather than repeatedly fixing it, I'll just get a new regulator and take it apart one more time.

I had the window and mirror out. I always use the blue painters tape as moisture doesn't seal it to the finish. I'll look for the plug as I didn't see one but I was looking more for a bolt head.

jrcampbe

On a US car you need to disconnect the motor from the regulator to get the regulator out as there is a vertical side-impact bar welded in the door. On some cars, there are no access holes to remove the bolts holding on the window motor and you need to drill these holes. Some people have been able to get the whole regulator/motor assembly out by removing the whole window, but I just removed the motor and the regulator comes out the big bottom hole in the door.

Hope this helps.

Jim

pmark3100

Quote from: jrcampbe on 16 August 2016, 12:04 PM
On a US car you need to disconnect the motor from the regulator to get the regulator out as there is a vertical side-impact bar welded in the door. On some cars, there are no access holes to remove the bolts holding on the window motor and you need to drill these holes. Some people have been able to get the whole regulator/motor assembly out by removing the whole window, but I just removed the motor and the regulator comes out the big bottom hole in the door.

Hope this helps.

Jim

the heat and (especially) the humidity are supposed to break in a few days. I'll revisit the door and see what I can figure out. The bar is what was stopping the assembly from coming out. I've got an inspection camra I can slide in there to see what all is holding things up.