News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Vid of my 280S running, any advice is appreciated.

Started by chinny4290, 14 May 2008, 12:52 AM

chinny4290

Alrighty. I have a video of my 280S starting and running. It's fine...it's driveable and it's not majorly in bad shape but there's a noticeable sputtering...this can be felt on acceleration and at idle. Turn your volume up and you'd be able to hear it. It's especially noticeable when I'm revving the engine constant at 2300 or so rpm.

I know that my vacuum pump (American carbed M110) is bypassed at the moment to keep oil from going into the intake since the cam seal is bad.

I also know that my #6 cyl ignition wire is bad so  I need to replace all of them for good measure, and maybe my ignition coil since it appears to be original. (Car has 77k miles on it).

Anyway, any things you guys notice please let me know. I also plan to Seafoam the engine but that's after I fix the pump and do the ignition coil and wires.

It's 2min and 33 seconds long so you guys need some good internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdlgNcyuVq8

This is also after I degreased the engine because oil leaks and sprays everywhere from the makeshift clogging of the vacuum pump so that's where the smoke/steam is coming from.

1975 W116 280S - SOLD
1994 W124 E320 Coupe - Gone

CURRENT - 1974 450SEL

oscar

Nice chinny.  Love hearing a familiar sound.  8) 8) It's almost as smooth as can be, just that occasional thud thud in the exhaust from that misfire.  Tell me, at the beginning where the revs go up to 2000, is that a choke being applied or someone with their foot on the accelerator.   If it's a choke, how are you turning it on and off?

I haven't taken a vid of my 280S but number 6 always misses due to very low compression.  Looking at rings at the moment and head gasket.  My number 6 will only fire if the revs are high.  For a comparison you can hear it HERE.  Mine consistently misses where yours is intermittent.  It'll be great to see how it improves once the new leads etc go on.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

Didn't sound too bad to me.

New set of plug leads from autohausaz and a set of plugs, resist all temptations to touch the carby and drive it.

Bill

jbrasile

chinny, just change the spark plug wires, cap and rotor and the plugs themselves and see if the problem goes away. It sounds like you have an extremely good idle which is really hard to get with the Solex 4A1 so as Bill said, avoid touching the carb if possible.

Regards,

Joe

chinny4290

PLugs themselves, and the cap and rotor were replaced in march.

I think if I just change all of the ignition wires then that should fix it.

Also taht smooth idle, that's the smoothest it's run since I've had the car. I forgot to mention it.

Majority of the time the whole car would shake at idle, but the rev counter and engine would stay consistent. I was thinking that a cylinder wasn't firing (#6 because the #6 wire is bad as aforementioned).

Also, to answer Oscar's question, the revving and the holding at 2400 RPM was my foot. I have no idea where teh choke is on the engine lol.
1975 W116 280S - SOLD
1994 W124 E320 Coupe - Gone

CURRENT - 1974 450SEL

oscar

Quote from: chinny4290 on 14 May 2008, 11:31 AM
Also, to answer Oscar's question, the revving and the holding at 2400 RPM was my foot. I have no idea where teh choke is on the engine lol.

It's automatic.  Basically you step on the accelerator and let go prior to starting and the choke closes.  It opens up and the idle will drop as the engine warms.  Not sure whether it can be cancelled prematurely by depressing the accelerator again once the engine is going.  Mine does but I have a diferent carby, a holley.   

When it revved high, I just got curious in the video thinking you might have had some kind of manual control over the choke but you haven't and that's good.  No odd modifications there by the sounds of it.
1973 350SE, my first & fave