News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

New drag link & tie rod eliminate the need for steering box adjustment

Started by adamb, 02 October 2008, 04:57 PM

adamb

Never expected there to be such a massive difference. The play in the steering of 6.9 #2062 has been eliminated (by W116 standards) by replacing the tie rod and the near side tie rod with new items from the main dealer. I was expecting to have to take the steering box out to adjust or overhall it but I'm pleased to say it won't be necessary at this time.

Very pleased that I replaced the tie rod too. It was bent (!) where it connects to the wheel carrier. Scary! God knows what happened to cause that damage.

The job was not too hard. I did destroy my ball joint splitter but that was my fault for buying rubbish tools. The replacement high quality Franklin tool (jaw size 22mm) was well up to the job. I learned to load the splitter up by tightening the screw and waiting a minute for nature to take its course. Best not to be around when the joint splits as heavy metal things start to fly.

In summary, before messing with steering box adjustments, consider the condition of other steering components. You can save yourself time, money and effort.  ;D

TJ 450

Between those ball joints and the coupling, there are a lot of possible sources of play, other than the steering box. It all adds up!

I have replaced just the track rods and coupling on my 6.9 and that has restored the play back to within specification. There was previously about 2" of play and a knocking sound as all the rubber had gone from the coupling.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

John Hubertz

My mechanic says tie rod ends and idler arm svcing will make it drive like a different car.

Trouble is I'm too broke to get it done right now.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]