News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Leaking oil cooler

Started by Noidea, 29 September 2014, 02:45 PM

Noidea

Hi guys

Needs a little help.

I noticed a little oil leak coming from the bottom of the oil cooler today, just above the lower pipe. I have been told that the pipes are an nightmare to get off and will get damaged in the process.

An old friend has suggested bypassing the oil cooler although, by joining the two pipe together? Is this advisable. He said the cooler is for Mercs in hot countries, I live in the UK.

Any suggest on either removal or bypassing.

Thanks

Noidea

ptashek

Quote from: Noidea on 29 September 2014, 02:45 PM
Hi guys
Needs a little help.
I noticed a little oil leak coming from the bottom of the oil cooler today, just above the lower pipe. I have been told that the pipes are an nightmare to get off and will get damaged in the process.
An old friend has suggested bypassing the oil cooler although, by joining the two pipe together? Is this advisable. He said the cooler is for Mercs in hot countries, I live in the UK.
Any suggest on either removal or bypassing.

If my 350 is anything to go by, these are easy enough to remove unless really rusted so bad that the nut has "welded" onto the pipe.
Try carefully undoing the nut and if the pipe turns with it that's when you know you have a problem. Soak it with WD-40 or Tec7 for a while, and that should help.
I would advise against bypassing the oil cooler.

p.s.: You may want to drain the engine first, otherwise it's a messy job.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Noidea

Thanks, I'm going to give it a go this week end!

I'll let you know how I get on

Thanks

Noidea

bronzy935

Last year I bought a 1979 350 SE that has had the two pipes joined to by-pass the oil cooler.
I am also in UK. It runs fine: no overheating problems. I intend to replace the cooler and the pipes but have not had time to schedule it yet.
Interested to see how you get on.