News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Trunk badge grommets/mounts

Started by karmann_20v, 24 January 2015, 08:42 AM

karmann_20v

Hi guys, does anybody have the P/N for the little plastic grommets/mounts (3 of them) that hold the rear model badge to the trunk lid (450SEL designation badge)?

They seem to be smaller than the ones holding the side door moldings.

Thanks!
Florin

karmann_20v

So complete mystery then??? Nobody knows the P/N for those grommets?

Also, does anyone have a good condition 450SEL badge for sale - P/N 1168171515 which is apparently the one form the later cars. Earlier ones were slightly different.

marku

I thought they were part of the badge. I know they always break off when you try to remove it. About to swap boot lids on mine and thought I would simply glue the badge on. There was something like adhesive behind it.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

karmann_20v

Quote from: marku on 22 March 2015, 12:15 PM
I thought they were part of the badge. I know they always break off when you try to remove it. About to swap boot lids on mine and thought I would simply glue the badge on. There was something like adhesive behind it.

They are not part of the badge... The grommets should expand a bit and that's how they keep the mounting posts in. I wouldn't glue in the badge.

Anyway, long story short: called my local MB dealership and gave them my car's VIN#. a day later they got the grommets for me. P/N is 123 991 03 81

Here's the best part: I found them on Ebay (some individual, some in 4 pcs sets). The 4 pcs set was something like $8 US plus $13 shipping... Dealership price (are you sitting down?) $0.12/ea - yeah, that's a whopping 12 cents (Canadian) each.  :P

marku

Have not got to refitting the badge yet and haven't looked too closely at how it is fixed. There is some infill in the back of it but will now use the proper fixings. Thanks for the part number.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof