News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

re: floor sound insulator

Started by hagar24, 22 January 2015, 04:17 AM

hagar24

I am looking for the road noise mats, front and back for RHD W116.

floyd111

The best ones I know of are made by GAHH and are a straight fit.
But, they are not as good as the Genuine MB ones.
It is advisable to simply have your local carpet-maker do these carpets for you, and glue a suitable thickness heavy memory-foam to these, instead of the PU that GAHH provides. PU really isn't that insulating.

A bit more work is to do the floor of the car as a whole, and that's what I am doing.
Remove chairs and all carpets, and have a layer of special sound damping material cover the complete floor, before putting chairs and carpets back in.
I am doing the floor, but also doors, ceiling and trunk.

It's a special mat, made here in Taiwan (but there are surely more producers) that has a sticky layer on one side, and is rot-proof. It is also watertight and protects the metal from corrosion.

That way the old W116 becomes a car, much like new MB's when it comes to cabin noise.
Allows for a decent Hifi system that actually can be heard in it's finesse.

I will ask my restorer for more data on these mats and let you know.

gf

I think a few have used that dynamat stuff which they seemed to be happy with.

hagar24

Quote from: floyd111 on 23 January 2015, 09:11 PM
The best ones I know of are made by GAHH and are a straight fit.
But, they are not as good as the Genuine MB ones.
It is advisable to simply have your local carpet-maker do these carpets for you, and glue a suitable thickness heavy memory-foam to these, instead of the PU that GAHH provides. PU really isn't that insulating.

A bit more work is to do the floor of the car as a whole, and that's what I am doing.
Remove chairs and all carpets, and have a layer of special sound damping material cover the complete floor, before putting chairs and carpets back in.
I am doing the floor, but also doors, ceiling and trunk.

It's a special mat, made here in Taiwan (but there are surely more producers) that has a sticky layer on one side, and is rot-proof. It is also watertight and protects the metal from corrosion.

That way the old W116 becomes a car, much like new MB's when it comes to cabin noise.
Allows for a decent Hifi system that actually can be heard in it's finesse.

I will ask my restorer for more data on these mats and let you know.

I would be nice if you could say what it's called, them I could look around here floyd11, and thanks for the info, exactly what I need, my mats still has good carpet, just the insulation fell off.

hagar24

Quote from: gf on 23 January 2015, 11:01 PM
I think a few have used that dynamat stuff which they seemed to be happy with.

What I am looking or is the under foam that has the shape of the floor, I don't think Dynamat is what I want msg119840, Flyod111 has the right stuff, thanks for your help just the same.

floyd111

I looked into the Dynamat thing.
Not sure it is that different, be it that it surely will cost a bundle, to get enough of it for a whole car.
Still, Hagar, if it's just the carpet-floor pieces you need, just get high-density heavy memory-foam.
Find a mattress factory nearby. They have this stuff in stock, normally, with qualities to choose from.
4 carpets in size, should be very affordable, and much easier than what I am doing.

hagar24

Quote from: floyd111 on 25 January 2015, 02:21 AM
I looked into the Dynamat thing.
Not sure it is that different, be it that it surely will cost a bundle, to get enough of it for a whole car.
Still, Hagar, if it's just the carpet-floor pieces you need, just get high-density heavy memory-foam.
Find a mattress factory nearby. They have this stuff in stock, normally, with qualities to choose from.
4 carpets in size, should be very affordable, and much easier than what I am doing.
Ok,I will look into that,thanks

oversize

The problem with aftermarket stuff is that it's not contoured to the shape of the floor so the carpets will sit flat on top.....
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

hagar24

Quote from: oversize on 27 January 2015, 08:09 PM
The problem with aftermarket stuff is that it's not contoured to the shape of the floor so the carpets will sit flat on top.....

I know that oversize,but I can't find the right stuff any where , and no one else seems to know either.

oversize

From what I understand it's NLA from MB but maybe some of the OEM suppliers might be able to help?  Making a set using modern materials would be difficult but not impossible.  The originals were a bad water trap and contributed to many rusted floors.  Failing that you'll have to find a nice second-hand set from a car with a good interior
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P