Radiator Grill Trim Strip attachment method question

Started by SmokeyBen, 02 January 2017, 02:26 PM

SmokeyBen

A couple of radiator grill trim strips have come off.  Apparent reason is breakage of the pin or rivet that holds it on.  Have the strips.  Need a tip or part number for the replacement attachment pins.  Just seems to be an aluminum nail with a larger than usual head that slides into the back of the trim strip flange edges.  Is there a quick trick to reattaching the strips with commonly available parts or is it a special order item?

Peter

Hi Ben, the clip is plastic, P/No. 2019882578 and is readily available aftermarket at a good price. Order at least 5 more than you need as they do brake, from memory there are three per chrome strip. Do you want me to tell you the method I used to replace these strips as there are a few tricks. Cheers

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

SmokeyBen

Thanks! These are the horizontal strips.  Will gladly accept all tips, tricks, & trade secrets.

Peter

The tolerances are tight so I oiled up the clips, holes and chrome strips and it helped, that's after breaking a few clips trying to dry fit them. Get the chrome strip started on the first clip and then I used a wooden spoon to gently tap the strip bit by bit over each clip. Pressing the clips into the holes was also a problem, they must be straight on against the hole and you must press straight down or they either crack at the neck or fly off under the work bench. Check all the holes in the grille and make sure they are free from obstruction etc. Good luck and let us know how you go. Cheers

rumb

Put all the clips on the strip first, then just line them up and push on.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio